ROASTED BELL PEPPER AND ASPARAGUS TOFU FRITTATA
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) package silken tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup canned light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped leeks
- 1/2 (14-ounce) block firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 cup asparagus tips
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut a parchment round to fit into a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet or cast-iron skillet. Set aside.
In a blender or food processor, purée silken tofu, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, tahini, turmeric and black pepper. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add leeks and cook about 5 minutes or until beginning to brown and stick to the skillet. Add a splash of water to the pan and stir well to dissolve any browned bits. Add crumbled firm tofu, asparagus, red peppers and olives; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a large bowl, combine tofu and vegetable mixture with puréed tofu mixture and basil. Pour mixture into the prepared nonstick skillet and bake 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently run a knife or rubber spatula around the edge to prevent sticking. Return to the oven and continue to bake 15 minutes or until golden and firm. Let stand 10 or 15 minutes before slicing.
Watch a video featuring this recipe.