This just looked so tasty!! I would tweak some things to a bit healthier choices and what would fit our food allergies. But if we make it, we can also adjust the recipe to our health needs!! FUN!!!
The recipe for this fruit-swirled quick bread comes from a reader, Debbie Cascio-van Hees, from the Netherlands.
It calls for fresh strawberries, but you can substitute thawed frozen berries.
Softened cream cheese is a delicious spread.
- PREP 10 MINS
- TOTAL TIME 1 HOUR 10 MINS
- YIELD Serves 8
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, quartered, and mashed with a fork
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- STEP 1 Prepare oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan. In a small saucepan, bring strawberries to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Set aside.
- STEP 2 In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt; set aside. With an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with 1/3 cup water, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in reserved strawberries.
- STEP 3 Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour (tent with foil after 45 minutes if top is getting too dark). Cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges; invert onto a rack. Reinvert; cool completely.